Monday, March 28, 2011

Gary Fultz on...The Steak or the Sizzle? Picture truth #7

Steaks with a Mesquite or Cajun rub in the middle of the wilderness
I know the smell and sizzle carried half a mile because that's how far away the teenagers were when they came running. All to be eaten with black beans, rice, fresh onion,peppers, hot sauce, with fresh fish in an avocado burrito shell. This is as close as I hope to get to a Hungary pack of wolves in human form.
I was on the lookout for vampire teeth showing their true nature. I heard thunder in the distance but there were no clouds. I realized it was stomachs rumbling three stages past the mumbling stage.
I looked at the sun and it hadn't moved much since they raided the extra granola bars and jerky. I was guessing the smell and the sizzle of the steaks would not satisfy this bunch.
No fantasies of the five adults eating the steaks while the teens watched--would come true today.
 First on the scene....steak...steak...steak!
Leverage is often used as a business term. I used it! "No one gets a steak till we get a stack of firewood waist high" I said. Poof...there it was.
"No one gets a steak till the onions and peppers are chopped and the burrito shells are laid out"
No poof but bingedy - bang - clash "where's the band aids?are the steaks done yet? why am I dizzy? Pause to inhale. "why am I growing fangs?"

    I gave God thanks for the food with my eyes open and prayed the big fish would bite.


    Isn't it odd that it's easy to spend a lot of time, energy, and money to devour good food, yet satisfied with the smell and sizzle only, of great spiritual food?
    We settle for going to church or a concert for the smell and sizzle of spiritual food and often don't take the time, energy, or money to just get alone with God in his word (as recorded in the Bible). Pray, fast, Listen to the holy Spirit speaking to us, and finally obeying what God wants us to say and do. Jesus told His disciples who were urging him to eat some food; "I have food that you know nothing about" Then to clarify he said "My food is to do the will of Him who sent me, and to finish his work" (John 4:32-34). Read what Frank Aragon says on this in his devotional.
    I know how demanding my stomach is. It can rumble with the best of them. I often let everyone around the campfire do a little taste testing as the food is about ready over the open fire. It good, It's fun, and it would be down right mean to the body if that's all we did. Let's not be "taste testers" for our soul. Are you content with the sizzle? How bad do you want the steak?
    What helps you the most in your food for the soul? Make your comments below... recipe sharing is a good thing!
"Come meet with Me" The sights, the sounds, the sizzle


Gary D
   
   

No comments:

Post a Comment