Thursday, December 9, 2010

Tis the season by Gary Fultz

All morning I have looked out the window and enjoyed the snow laden branches. It's actually been several mornings as there has been no wind to rid the brush and trees of such a heavy burden.
     It happened in an instant. I heard it, felt it, looked up and saw the huge gust of wind that shook the forest as well as the house of most of the snow. It's suddenly snowing. I'm Glad I'm sitting by the fireplace and not out on the roads, and smugly satisfied I took this picture when it was nice out!
    This is winter in northern Minnesota! The warm-up overnight from below zero to 18 degrees is good enough warning that a front (probably with snow) was moving in. Where else can one enjoy open air ice fishing in 30 degree sunny weather one day and see -30 below zero the next? Tis the season!
Sometimes are lives are changed  as quickly as this storm hit!
    My season in life right now is a lot like winter. Recovery from a surgery takes a season of time. Not knowing how well I will be able to do physical labor again will uncover itself in it's own time. How I handle this season in life seems to be the challenge. I have 30 degree sunny days and -30 below zero days. It seems that no amount of the will can change the temperature physically and emotionally. I do have control over one major aspect of my season and the storms that come without much warning. I can crawl back in bed or I can get dressed and face the day. These days I don't even go get the mail without putting on a parka, warm boots, fur hat and warm gloves. If I get cold I'm cold the rest of the day.
    I have to keep my eyes off myself! The moment I focus on me I get more depressed then the emotions of the season in life have brought to me. It's a tipping point and I have to look outward.  Thankfully I have friends who call and e-mail and offer help for things I cannot do. I have more faith than ever in a God who really is there and cares for me. This morning before the storm I was overcome with an emotion outside myself as I looked out our broken picture window (see blogs 1 and 2) and into the snow covered woods. A prayer erupted from my mouth with an emotion I haven't felt since my season of summer. "God I look to you for your goodness, your bounty, your beauty. I look to you for your greatness, your plenty, your care. I want to see from a higher place as you see... when all I see is a broken window in the cold of winter. I know you are there and you are God. You are my God!" 
    We are having some long talks and some days I do even do some of the listening.
    I have good enough clothes to stay warm winter camping in -40 degree weather (because I've done it).
I am learning that letting friends, family, and others in to my life occasionally warms my day in this season. Looking to God daily and seeing from His point of view keeps me warm in the cold. I'm still looking forward to spring

No comments:

Post a Comment